Home remedy for cough and cold for kids should be every parent’s first choice. Children are more susceptible towards cough and cold due to their weak immune system. Frequent exposure to cold, pollution, seasonal variation are major causes of catching cold. Its normal for a child to catch cold up to 7-8 times per year, till he/she is 2 yrs old. But, there are some easy home remedies to conquer the symptoms.
- Heat a small amount of ghee (home made cow’s ghee). Turn off the gas. Add a small piece of camphor over it. Let it melt. Apply it when warm over baby’s chest, back, underarms, feet and palm. Cover the baby’s body with a warm blanket and let him/her rest for minimum a hour. It will be best if you do it just before bedtime. Don’t apply the ghee on palm if baby tends to lick the finger.
- Mix 2-3 drops of crushed ginger, a pinch of cinnamon powder and a teaspoonful of honey. Feed it 2-3 times a day.
- Tulsi (Holy basil) works as a miracle for cough and cold. Boil a cup of water or milk and add 2-3 leaves of tulsi on it. To make the solution even more powerful, you can also add ginger paste, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric, ajwain and black pepper to it. Boil it till it remains half. To overcome the sour taste of it, you can add honey once it is warm then feed it.
- Heat a small amount of mustard oil. Add some fenugreek seeds. Let those seeds turn black. Turn off the gas. Add some pieces of chopped garlic over it. Let the oil be warm. Apply it on baby’s chest, back, hands and feet. Cover the body with a blanket and let him/her go to rest.
Note: Avoid all these steps, if cough is accompanied by fever.
Now! take these disclaimers from us!
- Nepdoc is intended to provide you basic knowledge about home care for cough and cold. If you require more information, please consult your physician.
- First try these things and if they don’t suffice, use prescription medicines from your doctor!