Pantorol 40 is an oral only pantoprazole by Grace Pharmaceuticals. It is a proton pump inhibitor and contains pantoprazole sodium sesquihydrate 40mg.
Grace Pharmaceuticals is a relatively new pharma company with its headquarters in Tillotama, Rupandehi, Nepal
Pantorol acts by inhibiting H+/K+ ATPase in the stomach. By inhibiting this enzyme, acid secretion in your gut decreases, thus subsiding your symptoms.
1. Indications of Pantorol 40
Your physician may prescribe Pantorol 40 on several occasions. The most common one is a pain abdomen due to peptic ulcers. You may have to take for a month or two for this condition. Your doctor may prescribe once or twice daily depending on the severity.
Besides that, it may be a part of a triple regimen for treating Helicobacter pylori infection as well. It is also a choice in stress ulcers, bleeding ulcers, GERD and Zollinger Ellison syndrome. Doctors also use this drug for prophylaxis of aspiration pneumonia
2. How does Pantorol 40 work in your illness?
1. In Peptic Ulcers
Pantorol 40 works best for peptic ulcers when you take it once daily. You should take this drug at least one hour before the meal for the best results. The basis by which this great medicine works is by reducing the amount of gastric acid produced in your stomach. After you start this medicine, there is a decrease in the further growth of your ulcer. You may have to use other drugs alongside as well depending upon the severity.
2. In Gastroesophageal Reflux disease (GERD)
In GERD, there will be chronic reflux of gastric acid towards your esophagus. By reducing the amount of this acid, there will be a decrease in your symptoms like pain. However, this may take some weeks to manifest. Besides, taking this medicine, you must also make lifestyle changes. This includes taking ample amounts of water, weight loss. Similarly, avoiding food at least 4-5 hours of bed will be synergistic to the drug’s effect.
3. In Stress ulcers
Taking Pantorolin stress ulcers reduces the amount of gastric acid. This will improve your conditions. Stress ulcers occur in various traumatic and non-traumatic conditions in your body. So, other medicines, proper rest and stress relief are equally important to allow your body heal.
4. In Heartburn
The mechanism by which Pantorol 40works in this condition is similar to above conditions. By reducing the amount of hydrochloric acid, there is decrease in the mucosal irritation. This relieves pain and soothes your upper gastrointerstinal tract.
Do not take this drug with alcohol. Pantorol 40 is safe in pregnancy. Considering lactation, contact your doctor before use. You can use this drug while driving. This drug is safe in kidney and liver diseases
3. Superiority over other groups of PPI
Pantorol by Grace is superior to omeprazole like other brands. Though the mechanism of action is similar, pantoprazole has less affinity for cytochrome P450 (CYP2C19). Hence drug interactions are less. Further it is more acid stable and has more oral bioavailability than omeprazole.
4. How to use Pantorol 40 tablets?
You must take Pantorol in an empty stomach at least one hour before the meal. Do not chew, crush or break this enteric coated tablet. If in case, you have to take twice, you must take it one hour before major meal in the evening. Don’t take any solid or liquid items during this one hour interval.
5. 14 FAQs about Pantorol 40
1. What is the use of Pantorol 40?
It is a brand name of a pantoprazole, which belongs to the class of proton pump inhibitors. It works by decreasing the production of gastric acid. It’s use are chiefly in peptic ulcer, GERD and heartburn.
2. What is the best time to take Pantorol tablets?
The best time is in the early morning, as soon as you get off the bed. If you have to take twice, take this drug at least one hour before your meal both in the morning and evening. Don’t take any fluids or solid meals during this period.
3. WHAT IF I OVERDOSE WITH PANTOROL 40MG?
Contact your health personnel immediately in this regard. Though there are no such systemic toxicity and antidotes for this drug, we request you be vigilant.
4. Does this drug cause weight gain?
There are only a few reports that may cause weight gain while intaking this drug. So, consult your doctor for any weight gain concerns
5. How long does it take for work?
Action of Pantorol 40 starts within one hour. But to get ample relief you will have to take this drug for at least 2-4 weeks. You may still have some symptoms during this time.
6. Is this drug safe ?
Yes, Pantorol is safe in most of the conditions. We recommend talking to your doctor to get best results in this scenario.
7. Can I take Pantorol 40with alcohol?
Alcohol doesn’t interfere in the mechanism of action of this drug. But it may increase acid production as a side effect. To prevent further worsening of your stomach, don’t take alcohol with this drug.
8. Can I take this drug if I am fasting?
Yes, you can take this pantoprazole, if you are fasting or even intermittent fasting.
9. Can I stop taking Pantorol 40 if I feel better?
We don’t recommend this. If you stop taking this medicine abruptly, there may be a surge of acid production. This will worsen your condition. Consult your physician before stopping this drug
10. Can I take painkillers with this PPI?
Pantorol 40and other brands are frequently prescribed together with painkillers. NSAIDS are known to cause stress ulcers. Hence, we recommend taking this drug along with painkillers. The dose and duration remains the same as above.
11. What other dietary changes should I make while taking this drug?
We recommend you take a lot of fibers, decrease excess oil and fat consumption. Refrain from caffeine and carbonated beverages.
12. Can I take antacids with this medicine?
You can take antacids with this drug. But please take them at least two hours prior or after.
13. What are the potential side effects of Pantorol 40mg?
The potential side effects are nausea and vomiting. Additionally, there may be rashes, insomnia and abdominal pain. If you consume for more than one year, you may suffer from hypomagnesemia, peripheral neuritis and osteoporosis.
14. Is Pantorol 40 injection available?
At this moment, it is not available. However, the company may have plans to launch the injection in near future.
6. Quick tips
- Take this medicine in the morning. Avoid any food (solid or liquid), for at least one hour after intake.
- You can well tolerate this medicine. But, you must take in time and avoid certain things.
- Avoid beverages, alcohol and smoking while taking Pantorol 40 for best results.
- Consult your doctor if you don’t see any effect for 2 weeks.
- Don’t stop taking this medicine before consulting your doctor.
- Call your doctor immediately if you develop edema, decreased urination, severe vomiting and rashes
7. Summary: Pantorol 40
- Chemical Class: Sulfinylbenzimidazole
- Manufacturer: Grace
- Available in combination: –
- Addiction: None
- Bioavailability: 70-80%
- Metabolism: Liver
- Excretion: Faeces, Urine
- Therapeutic class: Gastrointestinal
- Action class: PPI
- Price: Eight Rupees for tablet
- License Number: 1750826065517
- Drug Type: Category C
- Availability: In all pharmacies, Online pharmacies in Nepal
- Prescription Required? : No for tablet, yes for injection.
- Pantop 40mg by Asian Pharmaceuticals
- Panta-fast by Arya
- Panzol 40mg by National
- Pantera by Biogain
- Pansafe by Vega
- P-GUT-40mg by Madras
- Panorma 40mg by DJPL
Though medical professionals have written content on this website, you must take these for informational purposes only. We request to consult your physician before using any drug and supplements mentioned in this portal.