Rabifast is an oral only rabeprazole by Amtech Med Private Limited. It is a proton pump inhibitor and contains rabeprazole sodium 20mg.Amtech Med is a pharma company with its headquarters in Katahari, Morang Nepal. It also produces other PPI Panpraz (pantoprazole)
Rabifast 20mg works by inhibiting the enzyme H+/K+ ATPase in your stomach. By inhibiting this enzyme, acid secretion in your gut decreases, thus subsiding your symptoms.
1. Indications of Rabifast 20mg
Your physician may prescribe Rabifast on several occasions. The most common one is a pain abdomen due to peptic ulcers. You may have to take for a month or two for this condition. Your doctor may prescribe once or twice daily depending on the severity.
Besides that, it may be a part of a triple regimen for treating Helicobacter pylori infection as well. It is also a choice in stress ulcers, bleeding ulcers, GERD and Zollinger Ellison syndrome. Doctors also use this drug for prophylaxis of aspiration pneumonia
2. How does Rabifast 20 work in your illness?
1. In Peptic Ulcers
Rabifast 20mg works best for peptic ulcers when you take it once or twice daily. You should take this drug at least one hour before the meal for the best results. The basis by which this great medicine works is by reducing the amount of gastric acid produced in your stomach. After you start this medicine, there is a decrease in the further growth of your ulcer. You may have to use other drugs alongside as well depending upon the severity.
2. In Stress ulcers
Taking Rabifast in stress ulcers reduces the amount of gastric acid. This will improve your condition. Stress ulcers occur in various traumatic and non-traumatic conditions in your body. So, other medicines, proper rest and stress relief are equally important to allow your body heal.
3. In Gastroesophageal Reflux disease (GERD)
In GERD, there will be chronic reflux of gastric acid towards your esophagus. By reducing the amount of this acid, there will be a decrease in your symptoms like pain. It also prevents re-injury. However, this may take some weeks to manifest. Besides, taking Rabifast, you must also make lifestyle changes. This includes taking ample amounts of water, weight loss. Similarly, avoiding food at least 4-5 hours of bed will be synergistic to the drug’s effect.
4. In Heartburn
The mechanism by which this brand of rabeprazole works in this condition is similar to above conditions. By reducing the amount of hydrochloric acid, there is decrease in the mucosal irritation. This relieves pain and soothes your upper gastrointerstinal tract.
3. Superiority over other groups of PPI
Both rabeprazole and pantoprazole are superior to omeprazole . Though the mechanism of action is similar, Rabifast has less affinity for cytochrome P450 (CYP2C19). Hence drug interactions are less. Further it is more acid stable and has more oral bioavailability than omeprazole.
4.Safety Concerns about Rabifast
Do not take this drug with alcohol. Rabeprazole is safe in pregnancy. Considering lactation, it is usually safe. But, we recommend, you contact your doctor before use. You can use this drug while driving. This drug is safe in kidney and liver diseases.
5. HOW TO USE rabifast 20mg TABLETS?
You must take this PPI in an empty stomach at least one hour before the meal. Do not chew, crush or break this enteric coated tablet. If in case, you have to take twice, you must take it one hour before major meal in the evening. Please don’t take any solid or liquid items during this one hour interval.
6. Quick tips regarding Rabifast by Amtech
- Take this medicine in the morning. Avoid any food (solid or liquid), for at least one hour after intake.
- You can well tolerate Rabifast 20mg. But, you must take in time and avoid certain things.
- Avoid beverages, alcohol and smoking while taking this medicine for best results.
- Consult your doctor if you don’t see any effect for 2 weeks.
- Don’t stop taking this medicine before consulting your doctor.
- Call your doctor immediately if you develop edema, decreased urination, severe vomiting and rashes
7. 14 FAQs about Rabifast 20mg
1. What is the use of Rabifast ?
It is a brand name of a rabeprazole, which belongs to the class of proton pump inhibitors. It works by decreasing the production of gastric acid. It’s use are chiefly in peptic ulcer, GERD and heartburn.
2. What is the best time to take these rabeprazole tablets?
The best time is in the early morning, as soon as you get off the bed. If you have to take twice, take this drug at least one hour before your meal both in the morning and evening. Don’t take any fluids or solid meals during this period.
3. How long does it take for Rabifast to work?
Action of Rabifast starts within one hour. But to get ample relief you will have to take this drug for at least 2-4 weeks. You may still have some symptoms during this time.
4. WHAT IF I OVERDOSE WITH RABIFAST?
Contact your health personnel immediately in this regard. Though there are no such systemic toxicity and antidotes for this drug, we request you be vigilant.
5. Does Rabifast cause weight gain?
There are only a few reports that Rabifast and other rabeprazoles may cause weight gain while intaking this drug. So, consult your doctor for any weight gain concerns
6. IS rabifast SAFE ?
Yes, this brand of rabeprazole is safe in most of the conditions. We recommend talking to your doctor to get best results in this scenario.
7. Can I stop taking Rabifast if I feel better?
We don’t recommend this. If you stop taking this medicine abruptly, there may be a surge of acid production. This will worsen your condition. Consult your physician before stopping this drug
8. Can I take painkillers with Rabifast?
This and other brands are frequently prescribed together with painkillers. NSAIDS are known to cause stress ulcers. Hence, we recommend taking this drug along with painkillers. The dose and duration remains the same as above.
9. Can I take Rabifast with alcohol?
Alcohol doesn’t interfere in the mechanism of action of this drug. But it may increase acid production as a side effect. To prevent further worsening of your stomach, don’t take alcohol with this drug.
10. Can I take this drug if I am fasting?
Yes, you can take this rabeprazole, if you are fasting or even intermittent fasting.
11. What other dietary changes should I make while taking Rabifast?
We recommend you take a lot of fibers, decrease excess oil and fat consumption. Refrain from caffeine and carbonated beverages.
12. Can I take antacids with this medicine?
You can take antacids with this drug. But please take them at least two hours prior or after.
13. What are the potential side effects of this rabeprazole?
The potential side effects are nausea and vomiting. Additionally, there may be rashes, insomnia and abdominal pain. If you consume for more than one year, you may suffer from hypomagnesemia, peripheral neuritis and osteoporosis.
14. Is Rabifast injection available?
At this moment, it is not available. However, the company may have plans to launch the injection in near future.
8. Summary: Rabifast 20mg
- Chemical Class: MethylSulfinylbenzimidazole
- Manufacturer: Amtech Med
- Available in combination: –
- Addiction: None
- Bioavailability: 70-80%
- Metabolism: Liver
- Excretion: Faeces, Urine
- Therapeutic class: Gastrointestinal
- Action class: PPI
- Price: Twelve Rupees for tablet
- License Number: 11367
- Drug Type: Category B
- Availability: In all pharmacies, Online pharmacies in Nepal
- Prescription Required? : Yes for tablet
9. Alternatives to Rabifast 20mg
- Rabepra by TIME